"Fred is a natural wizard of the landscape. His wisdom and knowledge is amazing and his passion to share what he knows is truly inspiring, He's our go to guy for hunting and gathering and all things wild and foodie."
A nice chicken of the woods!!
When summer arrives it is time to gather in the first fruit and seed harvests... omega oil rich plantains, sedges, Himalayan balsam, wild raspberries and cherry plums. Summer is also a good time for making herb teas and cordials - the kind you serve with ice on a hot sunny day. Delicious fungi such as the fabulous chicken of the woods and the macabre looking beefsteak start putting in an appearance in our woodlands, reminding us of the fungal bounty of autumn that is yet to come.
This 4 day course (Sundays) will provide you with the knowledge and skills that you need to locate, identify and prepare a wide variety of wild foods. Whether preparing for a dinner party or a survival situation, this organised foraging course aims to give you the skills that you need!
(Spring and Summer clubs purchased together: £250.00)
The Summer Forager's Club gives you:
- First hand advice from Fred the Forager so that you can identify your finds properly and safely
- Knowledge of where to search to maximise your effectiveness and increase your confidence in finding a range of good edible species for the table
- Experience of foraging in different habitats; ancient trackways, woodlands and meadows, all within 20 miles of Avebury, Wiltshire
- 12 months email support - send in pictures and Fred will help to identify your finds
- Information on cooking and preserving wild food harvests successfully
- Directions on how to pick wild foods without damaging future populations
- Members can bring one non-paying guest on one of the days and there is a delicious WILD FOOD FEAST on the last day!
Pignut - a delicious spring edible from under the earth
I have 34 years of foraging experience to bring to your table and I have taught thousands of people how to forage. I am also the author of "Poisonous Plants in Great Britain", so joining the club is an opportunity to gain confidence in foraging safely as well as learning how to avoid all the harmful look-alikes, making sure you take home only fresh gourmet ingredients!
Young ox-eye daisy, reminding me of rocket!
2017 DATES / TIMES:
2nd July - 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM
23rd July - 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM
13th August - 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM
3rd September - 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Cost of membership (18 hours of tuition) for 2017: £135.00
Buy 2 and save: Membership of both spring and summer clubs can be purchased together for £250.00
Please note a gift voucher is available for this course. Click the Gift Vouchers link at the left of this page for more information or go to the Shop link to purchase.
Bookings can be made simply by sending an email to Fred@thewildsideoflife.co.uk (put SUMMER FORAGER'S CLUB in the subject line). Your place will be secure once full payment has been received via cheque or PayPal.
If you have received a gift voucher for this course from a friend then your place has already been paid for and you must get in touch using the email above to reserve your place.
See you in the wild!