Summer Plantlore Camp
(Currently not taking bookings - dates tbc for August '17)
(Arrivals from 6.30 PM Friday)
WORKSHOPS: 10.00 AM Saturday to 4.00 PM Sunday
A weekend of bushcraft and plantlore, held in a picturesque and unspoiled wooded valley in the southern Cotswolds, camping by a beautiful flowing stream.
blowing an ember created in a tinder bundle into life
- TINDER: Selection of different plants and fungi for firelighting tinders that can be used for matchless firelighting, and making a simple tinder box to take home
- TIMBER: The lore of firewood - which trees provide the best woods to burn for different situations, and how to recognise them all in the field
- STRING: Selecting and preparing different wild plants for making cordage which can be used to lash together items, make belts, nets, straps, etc. You will also learn to make simple cordage from tree bark for yourself
- TEN HERBAL HELPERS: Learn how to use 5 common trees and 5 common plants that could save your life in almost any survival situation - from treating injuries, stings and bites to killing dangerous infections. You will also make a herbal injury balm to take home
- POISONOUS PLANTS: How to tell hemlock from cow parsley, monkshood from mugwort, etc., and avoid all of them when out foraging for food!
- WILD FOOD STAPLES: Wild foods will be used, identified and discussed throughout the weekend
With an emphasis on practical exploration, all methods used will be explained first and you will be supervised while you learn to carry them out successfully.
Preparing a herbal balm from wild ingredients
MEALS & CAMPING: Delicious basic meals will be provided, cooked fresh in camp on the Saturday and Sunday. Please let us know if you have any special dietary requirements or are vegetarian. You will need to bring your own snacks to keep you going in between meals and bring food for your evening meal if you plan to arrive on the Friday night.
Your style of camping for this weekend will be up to you! There is a small grassy open space where you can pitch a tent, or alternatively go and find a spot to put up your basha or hammock in the woods.
A large pan of stew swinging over the cooking hearth
Note: Depending on water conditions wild swimming may be available next to the course area but is conducted entirely at the participants own risk.
Adults £185.00 per person.
Children (12 and under) £85.00 by special arrangement - contact us to discuss availability first as places are strictly limited.
Please contact Fred@thewildsideoflife.co.uk to make a booking.